Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Horrifying

Okay, so I haven't been blogging since I got back into Flint, and with good reason, but rest assured I've been formulating my classes, watching the conventions and saying goodbye to T for the time being. And here's what brought me right back to the keyboard:

Hundreds of people at St Paul, almost ALL white, yelling "Drill Baby Drill, Drill Baby Drill!!" during Rudy Giuliani's speech.

My god. This scares the hell out of me. Do these people really want to gouge out the earth and its oceans and its air until nothing is left?

Giuliani also sneered at Obama's job description as "community organizer." The dripping disdain of that moment also made my gall rise up.

I'm having a really hard time watching this cynical orgy of knee-jerk patriotism and treacly "family values."

No comments: