Thursday, July 03, 2008

Local Wonders #2: Korean Bell in Fog

Tomorrow is the Korean Bell's big day -- one of only two in the year it is rung. Tomorrow the site at the top of the hill overlooking a wide expanse of harbor and ocean will be crowded with well-wishers, celebrants, politicians and ringers wearing white gloves. Today, it was quiet and enveloped in fog. At first I was the only one there -- what delight to be alone here. Then a hawk getting chased by crows. Then these two gulls. Then a long-haired guy with a long-haired dog. Then three gabby Korean men with a bottle of Windex and a red rag, polishing the plaques -- for tomorrow, I suppose. It's one of my favorite places in San Pedro.



3 comments:

Teddy Robertson said...

That soft, damp fog is lovely to see in the photograph. I grew up in southern Marin county, at one of the turns and bends coming north from Sausalito. Just a spot where fog often settled, slow to burn off. For years I experienced depression that I attributed to a too long adolescence. Later I discovered that my depression was less frequent in sunnier weather. Now I am wary of regular fog along the temperate California coast. I've learned to look forward to a good snowfall in Michigan which is often followed by bright sun. Chemicals help too; 20 mg of Paxil and less fog . . .

Macy Swain said...

Let's keep this dialogue going, my friend. Thanks for your observations. "More light!" as Goethe said.

Krista Heiser said...

Those are some beautiful pictures. I love the last one. It has a quiet, mysterious feel to it, as if time were holding its breath.