Friday, November 06, 2009

Harmony with the Body at Last


What I like about Tai Chi and yoga are that they're so not-Protestant. When I grew up there was talk of the body, but it was all suspicious and guarded -- the body was a foe, a problem. Rhetoric repeated endlessly that our bodies were the Temple of God but I always felt as if that meant I had to watch myself...the body certainly wasn't mine.

It has taken me my whole life to begin to experience some harmony with my body. I'm very grateful for the lessons of this last year -- for the wonderful tai chi classes this summer under the giant fig tree in LA, and now the Monday and Wednesday night yoga classes at UM - Flint with Rachelle.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh, Protestantism, and the issues it creates with physicality. I, too, have found yoga to be really liberating from that drummed in idea that my body is dangerous. Your classes sound great. Have you ever been to Ethos Yoga in Holly? It's so lovely.