Friday, February 27, 2009

Metamorphosing in My San Pedro



Yes, we are. How can I not be at least a little bit in love with a place that advertises itself this way? This is at the grandly named "Galerie d'Arte" near the foot of Gaffey Street, across from the Korean Bell. it makes me smile.

And the sign suits the flavor of this visit, during which I've attempted to seal the deal with my recovery, taking long daily walks, getting lots of work done, eating right, breathing the therapeutic sea air, preparing for the next set of adventures, whatever they are.

Today, I sent out a packet of poems -- the first time I've done that in ages -- to a magazine that still won't accept electronic submissions. There was something nostalgic and comforting about printing off the poems, enclosing a simple little cover letter, and enclosing an SASE. Just like the old days. It's nice to retreat to something that hasn't changed: the mechanism for sharing an old, enduring devotion...an act of hope.

Here, then, is a salute to the restorative effects of my spring break in San Pedro and, for all of us, a life of robust and creative transformation.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you okay?

Hope so!

Happy Easter and Passover, etc.

Macy Swain said...

Yeah, I'm okay, Greg. My winter illnesses almost incapacitated me and for a time I was hanging on by my fingernails. I've had to conserve my energy and choose my commitments, while getting healthier and exorcising demons. It's been a long road which began as a physical challenge and cascaded into psychological complications. But I'm comin' back. Thanks for asking.