Monday, January 08, 2007

Writing into an Unknown Silence

This is a peculiar feeling: writing into a large electronic balloon, where my words are like molecules circulating and bumping up against billions of other molecules. Since I'm not getting any comments, I wonder if I could write virtually anything and virtually no one would notice. An interesting take on audience: there could be somebody out there, or maybe no one. Sort of like God.

I'm thinking about how I used to write. I have the gift of one specific moment when something became clear to me. I was about 14 and we were living in a rickety parsonage in Blissfield, Ohio. I was often alone in that time of my life, and it was a condition which did not upset me -- I liked the possibilities within my solitude. Anyway, I was sitting at a little desk on the second floor of the house, and I remember a milky daylight filtering in a window to my left. I was writing in a notebook. I never called it a diary -- diaries were for more trivial pursuits, I suppose I thought. Anyway, a moment surged up in which I said to myself, "I want to write. I want to be a writer." I was so sure that was what I wanted to do that a brief, euphoric ecstasy washed over me.

I've never made it "big" and my life has taken many twists and turns: I have not had the intense focus required, probably, to make this my only life's work. I'm not the best there is and even now, as I feel my age nick away at my energies, I feel unrealized and in need of more practice. But by far it is the clearest and most consistent professional moment of my life, and it was exhilarating.

2 comments:

The Cat Bastet said...

I know what you mean about comments. I hardly ever get any on my blog, but when I do it's so thrilling!

Occassionally friends, students, or collegues will mention something I've written on my blog, but it comes up in conversation, not as a reader comment. So, rest assured, you do have readers even if they are silent.

If you are really curious, you can use Site Meter (http://www.sitemeter.com/) to see who has been reading your blog. I set it up originally because I was curious about how many hits my blog was getting and later discovered how much info I could see about visitors.

Regardless, I decided long ago that even if my intended audience (family, friends, colleagues, students) ever read it I would keep writing. I realized I blog for the fun of writing and audience feedback is just a bonus.

Keep writing! :)

Macy Swain said...

Thanks, Cathy! I appreciate your response. Like you, I think I too returned to the blog for the fun of writing...but it's cool to find ONE comment there from time to time -- especially from a treasured colleague.